Monday, January 09, 2006

The CBC Big English Debate

I was going to wait until the end of the debate, but its winding down now, with the leaders tying up the unity portion of the debate...a nice closure, I guess.

This is how I summarize the debate, and how the leaders faired, along with their placement and overall effectiveness;

1. Liberals - Paul Martin - Nothing like being in the position of the governing party. Sure, scandal has plagued the Liberals, but, I have to give Mr. Martin credit - he has stay focused on the results, and lets face it, the government has done well in the last 17 months with respect to trying to keep all Canadians happy. Will the Liberals be penalized for past mistakes in judgement of a few high ranking Liberals? Probably...but, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling with the alternatives. I still maintain that the policies and governing of this country, have done well in the past under the Liberals...not bad, coming from a Conservative.

2. Conservatives - Stephen Harper - I've never seen a lack of passion in a debate before in my life. Mr. Martin could have given him some passion, and Harper still would have fallen short. Going into the debate, Conservatives were ahead about 10 points. Being a staunch Conservative in the past, Harper does not leave me a warm fuzzy feeling. My prediction is that if the Conservatives do get into power, look out...I think that Mr. Harper's government would fall under a non-confidence motion by the end of Q1 2007, if not earlier.

3. NDP - Jack Layton - The only thing I have to say about Mr. Layton, is that if there is a "Miss Congeniality" opposition party, then the NDP would win hands down. Although the NDP is a long shot at winning a minority government, I think that everyone will be surprised with a better showing in Quebec than what is predicted. The NDP will work for the people and improve social programs, but that platform alone does not a great country make. Lack of economic reform and personal income taxes and anything else capitalistic is outside the grasp of the NDP. If we as a country could trade buttons and smiles in the world economy, then the NDP would be worth a chance. Come back in a few years with a minority government when you have a better understanding of fiscal responsibilities and management. Social programs does not make the average Canadian better off.

4. Bloc - Gilles Duceppe - haha, as soon as Duceppe opened his mouth, all I could see and hear is Crazy Joe Devola from that Seinfeld episode where he played the clown, Pagliacci. If you made Duceppe up in the same makeup, I would pit the likeness between the 2 to be as uncanny as Layton and the Video Professor, John Scherer. Duceppe just wants his own country. As I have said before, I will be the first guy there with a shovel to dig the moat around Quebec and get them off the transfer payments. They suck the biggest buck from my pocket than even the lazy asses on unemployment on the east coast.

Overall, I wasn't surprised with the debate, or the results. I think that in the end, a Liberal minority government will win. If the Conservatives happen to maintain the momentum of leading by 10 points by voting day, if they get in as the minority government, then I predict that they will be the second shortest reigning government in history, second only to Joe Clark's government in 1979.

I do have to give kudos to Martin - an excellent policy announcement of taking out the "notwithstanding clause" right of the government, if elected. This should tell all Canadians that the Liberals are trying to do the best thing for the country, given that the Charter of Rights is a fundamental policy that has to be resolved still.

Good luck everyone with your choices on the big day - 23 Jan 06. The future and momentum of improving the presence of Canada on the world stage is in your hands. Be sure to vote, and make your stand.

No comments: