Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Are Bloggers Social Outcasts?

I couldn’t help but comment on this article on canada.com. Seems that Michael Keren thinks he knows bloggers and what makes them bare all or even comment on events within cyberspace.
I am not looking for celebrity status, and neither is the majority of bloggers out there. I definitely don’t consider myself a social outcast or a weirdo. Why blog? Well, I am sure there are various reasons out there, but I do it to practice my writing, and to just keep a personal journal of what happens in the world, from my perspective. Current events, or even personal events, serve as great reading for my future generations. There will be a day when my kids grow up, and it will be nice to be able to pass on more than just family photos. The one thing that we miss in our ancestry is the ability to get the true feelings and ideals each of our ancestors had years ago. Passing of old photographs is nice for the time, but why not express your ideas and thoughts, on many other issues of the day? What did I find humorous? What bothers me with world events? This blog, which I will give access to my kids down the road (whether in the present format or other media), will give them more of an idea of what their dad really was like – how I thought, things I felt strongly about, and even my interests.

So, Mr. Keren, before you go and paint the blogosphere with the same brush, consider why others might be blogging these days, instead of being as narrow minded as to say that we are all insecure, lonely outcasts. With my busy life, this is a welcome break to get some alone time, and think back on events that have shaped who I am and what is about me. If others read it, then so be it. Living life and reading/writing about it, is interesting, and a lot better than watching the TV all night. Maybe if you got out more into the blogging world instead of the nine you tracked for your book, you might come to a different conclusion.

No comments: